witches.town (WT) was a Mastodon instance that went offline on 2018-04-30 for reasons.
WT had been a somewhat quirky place – e.g. the limit for toots is 666 characters rather than the standard 500, and a pentagram symbol was apparently given to users with exactly 666 followers – with a very loyal membership.
@TheSupreme@witches.town, sysop of the instance, announced on 2018-04-02 that she will be shutting it down on 2018-04-30 – closely followed by a later toot noting that she was unwilling to let someone else take over the service (thus contradicting the "burnout" explanation), but without saying why.
Half of the moderation team was thinking of leaving and was not doing much anyway, the other half was getting endlessly stuck in "non-decision wait and see mode". This alone let some heavy shitstorms live their lives.
The thing that made me dissolve the team yesterday was a decision made by an admin to suspend the account of a trans woman based on an old smear campaign pushed by 4 chan with the subsequent support of the majority of the team.
Giving credit to 4chan, the gamergate and the alt-right is never ok. So I stepped in.
The code customizations used by WT are currently still available on GitHub.
The loss of witches.town led directly to interest in creating and supporting more witch-friendly spaces; see witches for a list.
all times are EDST
- 12:05 That's it. I'm burnt out. I terminated the server lease. (cache)
- 10:03 Reaaaally hot take about transidentity. Be careful, you're about to get yourself burned. (cache)
- @Alda@itch.fr is apparently the main account for @TheSupreme@witches.town (see 03-27 toot).
- 2018-03-27 I am taking back the management of WitchesTown. (cache)
- 2018-04-30 Migration survey results